Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pappy Update

Hi everyone...Kelly here. In case you didn't know, we have another colon in our family currently giving me gray hair. That would be Pappy, our 10 year old. Pappy is his baseball nickname. I know...it sounds like I'm talking about my great-grandfather, or an arthritic Golden Retriever, but no, this is our kid. I asked him what pseudonym he would like me to use on the blog & his response was "sick boy" to which I just rolled my eyes. He's not sick. But he has been having some symptoms as of late that caused us a little worry. In case you are just now catching up with Pappy's saga, here's the short version: colonoscopy on June 4th showed inflammation in the small intestine, colon, & stomach. Fortunately the biopsies came back with no tissue damage (no ulcers or erosions). The blood work also came back yesterday with the same results: no obvious pointers to Crohn's or Colitis. BUT (and apparently this is a BIG 'BUT')...because of Matt's history, the doctor just wants to be reeeealllly sure that he is correctly diagnosed. So, we are doing another procedure soon. He will be swallowing a pill (I'm told about the size of a vitamin) that has a teeny tiny camera in it. Then he wears some type of belt all day - this belt has a recording device in it that the camera sends pictures to. Pretty cool, huh? We just have to be at the doctor in the morning to take the "pill" and put the belt on...then come back later to remove the belt. The camera is eventually, um.......flushed.
Current diagnosis is gastritis, for which he is taking medicine. I think the question is: why does he have the gastritis and can it be early stages of Crohn's disease? At least that's the way I understand it now.

1 comment:

  1. that's pretty amazing about the pill--never heard of that. and it's disposable?!

    ReplyDelete