Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In the Beginning......


This is my first blog, so bear (not bare) with me. I plan to use this as a source for my friends and family to follow my journey of the removal of my colon. I will try to not be graphic in posts, but sometimes in telling stories, I have a tendancy to exaggerate, so it will be hard to not throw some graphic stuff in from time to time.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and support. My family and I are so blessed to have so much love around us, and for this I give thanks to God!

My surgery is schedule for July 7th. It will be at Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland Ohio. I am told that the whole thing will likely involve 3 surgery procedures over a period of time, with 2-3 months in between, but I am taking it day by day.

More later........
To catch you up, the long of the short, I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 15 years. It hasn't been all that bad, flare-ups from time to time, with long periods of remission. However, over the years my flare-ups have been worse and longer. I just spent the 3rd time in the hospital treating this disease since I was diagnosed in 1994. This time my flare has lasted well over a year and had progressively gotten worse. I have tried basically all the medical treatments that exist and nothing seems to be doing the trick. So after much thought, prayer and research (and encouragement from Kelly :) I have decided to go for the cure (hopefully) and have my colon removed. I am having what is called a "J-Pouch" Ileostomy procedure. If you are curious, there is tons of info on the web about it. My goals are to get my life back and get off alot of medications that I really would prefer to not have to take for the rest of my life.
Many people live with this disease and other Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) such as Crohn's, and surgery is not an uncommon thing at some point, so mentally I have had time to prepare. If you are interested in learning more about IBD and helping find better treatments and/or a cure, I recommend Crohn's Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA). Good group.

10 comments:

  1. so glad you're doing this for us! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristen means that she's glad your doing the blog, not having your colon removed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. will the surgery cure your rainbow hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,
    We are praying for you and your family. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Matt, David told me what was going on with you. I am so sorry you are going through this and we'll be praying for you. Thanks for keeping us posted with the blog, and, p.s., we have a hot pink wig that matches yours in the picture if you'd like some variety. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt, You are definitely in our prayers. Thanks for keeping us posted and please let us know what we can do for you and your family.
    Jan, Daron & Tori Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, Thanks for this way to keep us updated on you. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you prepare for surgery. Please let us know what we can do to help you, Kelly, Will and Rosemary.
    Blessings! Elizabeth, Kip and Ben Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would be cool for your colon to give us updates. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't wait to meet Mr. Stinky.

    ReplyDelete