Monday, July 6, 2009


Monday morning, July 6th. It's 5am, I am ready. All others are sleeping. Today, I go meet my surgeon and nurses. I have 3 or 4 different appointments. I get my own "stoma" nurse. I should be back to hotel tonight by 6 or so. So, if all goes as.......it has been written........I will be doing the dreaded bowel prep tonight. I've done that so many times, you would think it would not be something to dread by now, but if you have done it, you know, not fun. And, to boot, I am in a flare, so an extra special, NOT FUN. Today, I am expecting my path to take one of many. Since I had an infected abscess just two days ago (may still be infected, but if so, that sure was alot of pain to go through to not have it well), and my H and H blood counts were at anemic levels on Sat, I won't be surprised if my path takes a detour. I really don't care, as long as I get moving somewhere. Thing is, it seems they would want my red blood cell count up before they cut on me. That may mean more units of blood before op. How this whole abscess thing affects everything, I have no clue. I am curious to find out. Anyway, today I see professionals, and this is good.

This blogging thing (journaling about yourself for all to see) is odd and seems narcissistic. But, it actually helps a little by giving me something to do, and I assume some people like to read all these silly details. For those who are thinking, TMI, sorry :)

Yesterday we went to see the Cleveland Indians play the Oakland A's. Cleveland lost 5-2. Cliff Lee (Meridian CC, last year's Cy Young winner) started for the Indians, and pitched well, but like most of this year he got no offense. I can notch another ballpark off my list. We had to leave in the 6th, but had a good time. For those who don’t know, I am a list maker, and it was just a matter of time before lists started making it on this blog. Top 5 ballparks that I have been to (in order, starting with my favorite):

1. Wrigley Field
2. Coors Field
3. PNC Park
4. Progressive Park (Cleveland, used to be called Jacob’s field)
5. Busch Stadium

I got many more lists in me and will post later.

I have no idea what the doc will say today, but will post when I find out. Here are some pics from the game:




Kelly and Mom after we first sat down. Our seats were in the sun, and it was BRIGHT and HOT, so we quickly moved back a few rows in the shade to some empty seats.


Foul ball pop fly to right field, Jonny Peralta



Grady Sizemore after a 1-run double in the 5th



Cliff Lee. Very nice mechanics!


3 comments:

  1. Okay guys, I'm reading this and laughing. I know its not funny but at this point I think you'd have to laugh or just really break down. I am praying that things will go smooth the rest of the time. You are all in our prayers I know this has been extremely difficult. Thank you for letting us share this journey with you. Kelly if there is anything I can help with back here at home just give me a call. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not narcissistic at all--we wouldn't read if we didn't want to know what's going on with you. i woke up thinking about you this morning, so am glad to get some new info! keep writing whenever you can. and as you know, there's no such thing as TMI for ME.

    i hope it all goes well today and tonight is not too terribly painful with the emptying of the bowel. last time!

    so glad you got to go to the game yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt! Just wanted to let you know you and yours are in our thoughts and prayers here at the USGS. Sounds like you are staying positive. Keep up the posts; they are awesome (and I agree, not narcissistic one bit, writing is very therapeutic!). Jeannie

    ReplyDelete