Thursday, July 9, 2009

thursday, july 9

I have no clever title for today's post. I'm tired. Not horribly tired, just a little brain-not-functioning-at-full-capacity tired.
Today is my birthday & as of 9:30 am at least 3 people looked at me & said, "are you okay?" I assumed 40 would be like this, but 39? (Hey, today is also my Aunt Clara's birthday - so if you see her, tell her "Happy Birthday"....I'm guessing about her age & will probably be in BIG trouble for this, but I think she's 84 today. And she's on Facebook. How cool is that?)
I stayed at the hospital last night with Matt. The nurse assistant found me a real fold out mattress. SWEET! We had an okay night - some normal hospital stuff I guess (NOISE) - and a moderate pain wake up call about 2am, but otherwise uneventful.
Oh - a few folks have asked how they might send us a card...please send to me c/o the Hilton Garden Inn, 1100 Carnegie Ave, Cleveland, OH, 44115-2804. Our room number is 208, but that's probably not necessary.
Also, we both have our cell phones with us, but are limited in our roaming minutes. In an effort to keep our costs down, I'll let you guys that are just DYING to talk to Matt know the direct hospital number when he feels like talking. I'm sure you are all having phone withdrawals. (Hop....Stuart.....I'm talking to you. :) )

Here's a photo of Matt's 2nd walk-about yesterday. I was at the hotel showering when he first ventured out of bed (so no photos). The nursing asst helping him told him that he walked further than most people do their first day out of bed....so that seemed encouraging. I think he's still trying to make up for exaggerating about the marathon.

Matt has been having a little low-grade fever since the surgery. This is most likely due to his lungs not working at full capacity right now. In surgery, when hooked up to the respirator, the lungs are in a collapsed state. Using the gadget in the photo below, he pulls air into his lungs & tries to keep the little yellow ball-thingy up in the smiley-face square for as long as possible. I swear they called the gadget a barometer...which kind of makes sense...because I suppose it's measuring pressure...sort of. Right?

Anyway, all of this is going to help his lungs get back to normal & reduce his fever.


Later y'all.

3 comments:

  1. i wanted to call to wish you a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't say that Matt never gives you decent birthday presents, Kelly. A trip to Cleveland! Must be in the top five presents, surely. If he does this for your 39th, just imagine what he'll do for your 40th. And I'm still waiting to see Matt's new orifice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking of both of you ever since you told me about all you are going through. So glad the surgery went well and also that you are having your birthday with someone you love although in difficult circumstances. God is good. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete